The Friesian Monument
No sooner had the last disputes been forgotten than a new dispute sparked between the Ammerländer and the East Frisians. Count Ulrich von Ostfriesland fell into the Ammerland in 1457 and laid Apen in ruins. Count Gerd then retaliated by destroying the Frisian villages Detern and Hollen and driving the cattle away. The Frisians did not want to let that sit on themselves and forged a plan under the leadership of Edo Boyung. They soon plundered many neighboring towns of Westerstede and took advantage of Count Gerd's absence, who was out of the country at the time, to congratulate his brother on winning the Swedish royal crown. But they hadn't counted on tough resistance from the peasants. Since some looters lost their lives, they withdrew. But the farmers did not give up so easily. They blocked the old military route between Mansie and Fikensolt with tree trunks and defeated the surprised Frisians in a great battle. To commemorate this battle, the Friesian monument was erected in 1912. The top inscription reads: "In memory of the fight between the Oldenburg counts and the East Frisian chiefs for supremacy in North Oldenburg and the defeat of the East Frisians in 1457 through the brave behavior of the Ammerlanders."
Mansingen Castle Square is a cultural monument. In 1226 the castle square with the outer castle complex and the surrounding moat was mentioned for the first time. The castle grounds are known to the locals as Hammjeborg. Today one larger and several smaller hills can be seen in an attractive moor landscape. The main castle complex was likely to have stood on the larger hill, the outer bailey and utility areas on the smaller elevations. The castle complex was probably created in the extensive boggy plains by backfilling and originally served as a refuge. The ring wall system is referred to in archeology as a motte (hill castle). Presumably in the 13th century, this moth became a moated castle or tower hill castle through the construction of earth walls and moats, the course of which can be clearly seen today. (Source Wikipedia) There is also a listening point here.
Fikensolt Castle is a moated castle. The castle was the former seat of the Lords of Fikensolt. In 1457 the "Battle of Fikensolt and Mansingen" took place near Fikensolt, in which the Oldenburg counts met the East Frisian chiefs and gained supremacy in North Oldenburg (see the memorial near Fikensolterfeld). The moated castle was built as a baroque castle in the second half of the 18th century as the successor to the earlier castle complex of the Knights of Fikensolt. Today only the manor house remains of the former Fikensolt manor. The property was renovated in 1985-88 and is not open to the public as private property. (Source Wikipedia), There is also a listening station at the castle.